I. 重写句子(15 points, 1.5 points each) Rewrite each of the following sentences according to the
requirement in brackets.
Example: The history of English words is the history of our civilization in many ways. (periodic sentence)
In many ways, the history of English words is the history of our civilization.
1. I go to medical school. They want me to do that. (simple sentence)
2. Although Lilliput was such a pretty country, there was trouble and danger there. (loose construction)
3. Sports play a huge role in a nation’s culture. This is especially true in the United States. (compound sentence)
4. The size of the student body has diminished this year owing to decreased enrollment. (periodic sentence)
5. Her father won’t let her go to the party tonight. She’s in a bad mood. (complex sentence)
6. It was fortunate that the weather last winter was quite mild. (sentence with –ly opener)
7. Melinda was afraid that the other kids would laugh at her. She kept silent. (sentence with a modifying phrase)
8. She worked long hours. She saved every penny she could. She denied herself luxuries. She managed to save
enough for an education. (sentence with parallel structure)
9. My friend has a nine-year-old daughter. She is very clever at sewing. She has made clothes for her baby brother.
10. The farmers grew worried. Clouds were forming over the mountains- They hoped a wind would blow the
clouds south. (compound-complex sentence)